Lara's Famous Fried Rice

Friday, March 13, 2009

I've been making this hearty, flavorful brown rice for so long that my kids don't even recognize plain white rice as edible. Sauteing it in butter and onions beforehand adds a little extra time to the already longer cooking time necessary for brown rice, but your efforts will be so worth the results! You won't want to go back to plain white rice either.




The ingredients:

2-1/2 cups brown rice*
2 Tbs. butter
1 onion, diced
5 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes

Stirring frequently, saute dry rice and diced onion in butter until rice is slightly browned (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile heat water and bouillon until boiling. When rice is browned, add to the boiling water/bouillon. Cover. Turn heat to low. Simmer slowly for 45-50 minutes or until water is absorbed. Serves 6.

*If white rice is used, reduce cooking time to 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Donna-FFW March 13, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Sounds like such a nice change from white rice. I will have to try it. Thanks, lara!

jacjewelry March 13, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

I've heard that frying it before cooking it makes a difference, but have never tried it! I love brown rice, so I'll have to give it a try! Thanks.

Mirien March 17, 2009 at 2:45 AM  

Good idea. We're all about brown rice here, too, but I've never tried browning it in butter first. I'm trying it this week. Thanks!

annalisa March 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

i'm going to try it right now and i'm excited! i hope it turns out as good as yours:)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP