Cream Filled Danish

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My friend Becca is an amazing bread artisan. She brought me this homemade Danish one time and my family went gaga with excitement. It was like our Sunday morning Entenmanns...only way better and I was so excited when she shared her recipe with me. This recipe makes four pastries, so plan on freezing a couple for another day.

The ingredients:

PASTRY DOUGH:
1 cup butter
2 cups warm milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. yeast
1/2 cup warm water (to dissolve yeast)
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
~8 cups flour (just enough to keep the dough from sticking to your hands)

CREAM FILLING:
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbs. flour
1 tsp. vanilla

In small saucepan on low heat whisk together sugar, salt, flour, egg yolk, and milk. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add vanilla. Let cool.

ALMOND FILLING:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp. almond extract

Mix all ingredients together.

GLAZE:
1 egg white, beaten

CRUMB TOPPING:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Combine together with fork into large crumbs.

ICING:
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbs. milk or water
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Mix all ingredients well until desired consistency.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Place butter and sugar in large mixing bowl, pour heated milk over butter. Let stand while you mix yeast with 1/2 cup warm water and 1 Tbs. sugar. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes.

Add egg and yeast to butter/milk/sugar mixture. Add salt and flour. Beat together until you can barely handle dough without it sticking to your hands. (No kneading necessary)

Cover with cloth and let raise for 1-1/2 hours in warm place. Punch down and let raise for an additional 45 minutes.

Roll dough into a 10-inch x 15-inch rectangle.
Cut strips about 1-1/2 inches apart along the long sides of the rectangle. Spread cream filling covering the center of uncut section. Then place almond filling in chunks regularly on top of the cream filling. Fold in cut pieces.

Brush with egg whites.

Sprinkle with crumb topping and place in the oven. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until a very light golden brown.

Drizzle with icing and serve warm.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Coleens Recipes April 23, 2009 at 2:38 AM  

I LOVE making pastry. Yours looks very good. I especially enjoyed your photo of how to put it all together.

Heidi April 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

I love all your photos. You could never describe that accurately without the pics. That is a lot of help for us cooks :) I love your site. I found it yesteday and have already made one of your recipes... the one for oreos. They are great.

Kristen April 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

mmm-if I ever get a good baking day in again, I want to put this on my list

Heidi April 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Just wanted to tell you that I printed off the oreo recipe yesterday and made it last night. They are great. My kids and husband love them. Thanks:)

Katy ~ April 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

This looks AMAZING and so GOOD! Way better than a bakery! This is on my MUST DO list. Thank you for sharing such a great post!

Tawnya March 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

Just made this recipe for the second time. My family loves it. Since it makes four we eat one and freeze the others. When I am ready to use the others I put them in a warm oven for about 15 minutes. Thanks for the recipe.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP