Cooking With Kids: Wheat Berry Muffins

Monday, June 8, 2009

A couple of my kids love to cook, so I'm always on the look-out for things that they can try themselves. My kids still have two weeks left of school, but I thought it would be fun to try a new Cooking with Kids series for the summer. Once a week on Monday, I'll post a fun and easy recipe you can make with your kids (or have them make themselves). Please feel free to email me at wawadehut@gmail.com with any ideas or recipes you have that we may try out (or links to your own Cooking with Kids ideas on your blog which I'll post as links here).

For this first one you may want to start your adventure off at the library by checking out this book.
My eight-year-old came home from school just delighted about this delightful adaptation of the original fairy tale that her teacher had read to her and couldn't wait to try Grandma's Wheat Berry Muffin recipe which made the muffin loving wolf go gaga! The muffins were easy enough for Emma to make herself (with a little help gathering/measuring ingredients) and were surprisingly different than the average muffin with the slight nutty flavor and crunch that the sunflower seeds added. The first time we made these I didn't have almond extract so we substituted it with 1/2 tsp. orange extract and 1 tsp. orange peel and we loved that version as well.

Have fun!!!



The ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract **(see note below)
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (Grandma's secret ingredient)

First, turn on the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, butter, sugar, and almond extract. **Try substituting the almond extract with 1/2 tsp. orange extract and a tsp. of finely grated orange peel**

In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add that to the egg mixture and stir just until combined. Gently stir in the blueberries and the sunflower seeds after making sure there are no wolves lurking about. Batter will be thick. Fill oiled muffin tins 3/4 full, and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Be sure to check out Melody over at Cheat Day Cafe, for a fun kid's recipe for Chiquita Smoothies.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

SnoWhite June 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

those look tasty!

if you're able to have peanut butter at your place -- I used to love making and eating peanut butter playdough ;) I'd be happy to pass on the recipe.

Katy ~ June 8, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

Lara, big hugs to you! I love it when adults cook with children.

Big smiles on that little cutie!

Those cupcakes sound very good indeed.

Coleens Recipes June 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

The muffins look delicious!! I am thrilled you are setting aside time to cook with your children. What a great initiation to the kitchen for them. Your little girl is SO cute.

Kristen June 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

What a sweet little helper cook you have there - I love baking with my kids too! Great looking muffins :o)

Melody June 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM  

How fun to reinforce a story by cooking the recipe included. That's great! They look really good too!

Anonymous,  June 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM  

Man, I wish I helped out in the kitchen when I was a kid, too! I always wanted to learn, but my mom always shooed me away because I was more of a nuisance! lol!

Mirien June 18, 2009 at 2:52 AM  

We love these muffins! Jillian discovered that same book a couple of years ago and we've been making them ever since! They are still her favorite breakfast to request. I changed it a little--instead of the butter I use 1/4 c. oil and 1/4 c. buttermilk, light sour cream, or plain yogurt; I also use 2 c. whole wheat pastry flour and no white flour. I think I should buy a copy of that book, or at least check it out from the library again, because we haven't read it in awhile. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Erin July 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

Oh my goodness! I LOVE THIS RECIPE! I checked this book out about, oh, a year ago I think, and immediately fell in love with the book and the yummy recipe. I even posted it on The Sisters' Cafe as well. I just love that you included, "after making sure there are no wolves lurking about" in the recipe instructions. I included it as well - I thought it was so cute! How fun to see that you ran into the same cute recipe in the children's book as I did. :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP