Bruschetta Pizza

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

It's not very often I try a new recipe and like it so much that I actually make it three times before I finish typing up my post. I tried this Taste of Home recipe with fresh tomatoes and basil out for our Friday pizza night tradition three weeks ago and have made it every Friday night since then and we love it just as much the third time as the first. I imagine that with how much Glen and I enjoy it that I'll probably be making it the next several Fridays as well!

I love the savory combination of the fresh tomato, basil, and basalmic vinegar topping and Glen loves the hearty sausage and pepperoni layer. Not surprisingly the kids are sticking with their plain old sauce and cheese version, but we're loving our new fresh tasting savory *adult* pizza! (The last time I made it, Glen was out of town so I made it without the meat and really enjoyed it vegetarian style too).



Click here for Printable Recipe


The ingredients:
Click here for Printable Recipe

1/2 lb. pork sausage
1 prebaked Italian bread shell crust (14-oz.)
1 pkg. (6-oz) sliced turkey pepperoni
2 cups (8-oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1-1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme (or 1/8 tsp. dried thyme)
1/2 tsp. basalmic vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place crust on an ungreased baking sheet. Top with pepperoni, sausage, and cheese. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.

In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, sliced basil, oil, garlic, thyme, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Spoon over pizza. Garnish with additional basil if desired.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Melody July 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

What a great combination of flavors! I wish my hubby liked tomatoes in others forms besides sauce.

MaRiN July 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

I love, love, love, Bruschetta! I'm going to add this to my list of to-trys!

teresa July 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

I LOVE this pizza! Our family would inhale this!

Rachel July 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

This looks fabulous! I can see why you made it three consecutive weeks in a row :) We absolutely love bruschetta, so this is a definite "must try"!

Katy ~ July 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

We eat pizza probably once a week, but nothing that looks this good or fresh! I am definitely doing this. It looks over the moon good!!

annalisa July 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

i love this recipe! it is the best! i highly recommend it!

Coleens Recipes July 8, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Three times before you posted the recipe? Now THAT's a recommendation.

Anonymous,  July 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

oh my god! This is SUCH a beautiful pizza! And freshly seasonal too with the tomatoes and herbs! YUM!!

grasshopper July 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

hah, now thanks to your article i feel like pizza somethin' fierce; thank goodness my favorite place around where I live delivers

Lynn July 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

This looks delicious! I think I need to try it once our tomatoes get ripe.

When you make pizza for your kids, what kind of "sauce" do you use? Do you buy pizza sauce in a can? Or make your own? I've been making our own but my son is complaining it's too sweet so I need to find some other recipes to try :) Thanks for any help!

Rebekah May 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM  

http://allrecipes.com/WebLink/62766887/Bruschetta-Pizza-Recipe-Shoebox/Detail.aspx

I saved this on my AllRecipes.com recipe box and made it this week - it is amazing!! The fresh tomato and basil mixture with that little bit of balsamic is killer! Next time I make regular bruschetta I know what tomato mixture I'll be putting on top! Yumm!!

Amy & Mike August 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM  

This was great! Very filling.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP