Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Poppy Seed Dressing

Sunday, July 26, 2009

This salad recipe I got from my Mom just screams summer with its spinach, fresh strawberries, and orange poppy seed dressing. The dressing is slightly sweet and perfectly complements all the fresh ingredients. Since we were so busy while we were in Utah, I just loved that we could whip this fancy looking salad together in just a few minutes to share with visiting relatives. The flavors have a better chance to combine if you can make it in advance, but it's still good made 5 minutes before you need it.




The ingredients:


SALAD:
1 package baby spinach
1+ cup strawberries, sliced

ORANGE POPPY SEED DRESSING:
1/3 cup orange juice
1 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. powdered fruit pectin (for lower sugar recipes)
3/4 tsp. poppy seeds

SUGARED NUTS (almonds, pecans, walnuts):
1/2 cup nuts
1/4 cup sugar

Whisk dressing ingredients together. Pour over spinach and strawberries and chill for about 2 hours before serving.

Meanwhile in frying pan, cook nuts and sugar together over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar melts and coats nuts. Remove from heat immediately and let them cool, separated on a plate. (Don't use wax paper, as they will stick to the wax paper).

Just before serving, stir salad together again and sprinkle sugared nuts over the top.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Lynn July 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

This looks great, Lara. I love trying out new salad combinations. I've never seen a salad dressing with pectin in it before! Very interesting. I'm printing this one out :) Thanks for sharing.

MaRiN July 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

I love a strawberry spinach salad but I've never had an orange poppy seed dressing, sounds like a perfect match for this salad.

teresa July 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

gorgeous! i love the dressing! i want to gobble this up!

Anonymous,  July 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM  

Looks wonderful! I love the colors in there, so bright and cheery! Perfect summer salad!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP