Strawberry Pretzel Jell-o Salad

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This is one of those dishes that sounds weird before you try it, but after sampling it at a party one time my family all fell in love with the salty/sweet/fruity combination. My kids have actually been bugging me to track down the recipe so I can make it for them again. This recipe is a combination of two I found--one from my Mom's church cookbook and one from Horse Jumper at Recipes Anonymous (an awesome foodie blog I just discovered). It's a little tricky getting it to look nice (as you can tell from my pictures), but I think the secret is to take your time. Allowing the crust and the Jell-o to cool before proceeding will make a big difference. Watch out when you make this, because it's totally addicting.




The ingredients:
2 cups hard pretzels, crushed
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 Tbs. sugar
1 package (8-oz.) cream cheese
12 ounces Cool Whip
1/2 cup sugar (I left this completely out)
1 package (6-oz.) strawberry Jell-o (or other flavor)
1 package (16-oz.) frozen strawberries, thawed (raspberries are also really good)
2 cups boiling water

For the crust, mix together crushed pretzels, melted butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Press into a 9x13-inch baking dish and bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.

Cream the cream cheese and sugar together, then slowly add Cool Whip until smooth. Spread evenly over cooled pretzel crust.

Mix gelatin in boiling water, then add thawed strawberries. Allow to cool,but not to set, (about 10-15 minutes) then spoon carefully over cream cheese mixture. If you pour the Jell-o mixture over the top before it has cooled you will get little chunks of the cream cheese mixture break off and float to the top. It still tastes fine, but it doesn't look as pretty. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Serves 10-12.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

SnoWhite July 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

yum! my mom used to make this dessert growing up -- delicious!

It's also delicious with a graham cracker crust :)

Lyndas recipe box July 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

I'm made this many times, and it is so addictive! I have also used a graham cracker crust, which works really well when you are on a hurry.
There's nothing messy looking about this picture, it looks great!

Katy ~ July 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

I haven't made this in a while, and you're right, it IS very very good! Never quite sure if it's a salad or a dessert LOL!

Mirien July 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

Who got away with inventing this as a salad? But if it means I can feel less guilty about it, I'm all for it. And way to eliminate the sugar--that's a great idea! Makes it even more salad-ish, right?

Tina Butler July 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

thats one of my favorite desserts. It looks so pretty.

Rachel July 28, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

My Mom has been making this for as long as I can remember and it's always a hit! Yours looks so pretty :)

teresa July 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

i don't think i've ever had anything like this, but i have no doubt that it's yummy! i love the salty pretzels with sweet strawberries!

Coleens Recipes July 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

What a great recipe. I love the sweet-salty combo as well. I enjoy serving desserts like this at family buffets, its fun to sit back and listen to the raves.

My Little Space August 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Oh, this looks great and delicious! I bet my kids will love it too.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP