My Best Cake

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hi! Lara's Mom here. I used to make a similar cake many years ago and then lost the recipe. This is easier and different than the one I used to make, but is still very good.





The ingredients:
Click here for Printable Recipe.

1 German chocolate cake mix - make and bake
1 can sweetened condensed milk
16-17 oz caramel topping (I made mine from scratch--see recipe below)
1 carton (8-oz.) Cool Whip

CARAMEL TOPPING:
5 Tablespoons Butter
1 Cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup half and half (I use milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla

For caramel topping: Heat butter and sugar over low heat until smooth. Add half and half and salt. Simmer 4 minutes. Add vanilla. Stir for a minute or so.

After baking German chocolate cake as directed, make holes in baked cake with wooden spoon handle.Pour sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping over warm cake.

Cool for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Cover with whipped topping. Leftovers (if you have any) need to be kept refrigerated. Enjoy.





8 comments:

SnoWhite August 26, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

oh, I bet this is quite tasty!! thanks for sharing, Lara's mom!

Melody August 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

I've seen variations of this cake, but I've never tried it! What is my problem! It looks delicious.

Spryte August 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

Wow! That sounds great!!

Lara August 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Thanks Mom--we'll be trying this soon! The kids keep coming to look at the pictures and drool!

Katy ~ August 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Sweet, sensational decadence!

teresa August 27, 2009 at 12:22 AM  

this does look like the best cake ever!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP