Indian Style Steak Kebabs with cilantro sauce

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just typing up this recipe today made me long for the laid back days of summer again. I miss cooking on the grill while my kids happily jump on the trampoline with carefree abandon. Now our evenings are filled with sports practices, homework, practicing music, and back-to-school nights. I feel like I barely have time to breathe, yet alone take the time to slowly cook up some juicy meat on the grill.

This recipe is one I found in a church cookbook and got excited about the different combination of flavors. My husband went absolutely crazy over this easy grilled meal and is still asking me when I'm going to make it again. Surprisingly even my kids were willing to overlook the green tinge the cilantro sauce gave to everything and eagerly gobbled it up. This one is definitely going into the keeper files.

The ingredients:
Click here for printable recipe.


1 bunch fresh cilantro (about 2 cups cilantro leaves)
1 small onion, peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small can green chilies
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
1-1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4 Tbs. vegetable oil
3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1-1/2 lbs. rib-eye steak, cut into 24 one-inch chunks
1 medium red onion, peeled
1 cup mango chutney (optional)
4 pieces naan bread (optional)
wooden skewers for grilling

Place the cilantro, small onion, garlic, green chilies, ginger, and salt with 3 tablespoons of the oil into a food processor. Process until a paste is formed. Transfer to a large bowl. Put 2 tablespoons of the paste in a small bowl and stir in the lime juice to make the cilantro sauce. Cover and set aside. Stir the curry powder into the rest of the paste.

Add the steak and coat well. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes. Cut the red onion into 6 wedges and separate each wedge into 2 layers. Thread the beef and onion chunks onto eight 9-inch skewers. Brush a grill pan with the remaining oil ( I just cooked them right on my grill). Preheat grill pan, then grill the kebabs for 8-10 minutes, turning the skewers every 2 minutes. Serve with the cilantro sauce, chutney, and naan, if desired.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Kim September 29, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

I love any kind of kebab and have really been wanting to try this naan bread. We love cilantro here, so this sounds perfect. I can understand why your family liked it so much. Pretty cool that one of your daughter's has a Halloween birthday :D

Lyndas recipe box September 29, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

What a great looking kabob and with all that flavor, I understand why your family wants it again soon! This is a great recipe, Lara. Bookmarked!

Katy ~ September 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

Lara, I wish I liked cilantro because the rest of this recipe looks lip smackin' good! Kebabs are just such a nice happy food and so versatile. thank you for sharing such a delicious find!

Coleens Recipes September 29, 2009 at 11:39 PM  

We are far past summer grilling days and grill is already in the storage shed. I want to get an indoor grill pan. These look delicious.

MaRiN September 30, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

You had me at the cilantro. I just can't get enough of it's deliciousness! These look so hearty and filling. Can't wait to try them!

teresa September 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM  

what fun kabobs, i have never made anything like this, but i want to. it looks DELICIOUS!

The Double Dipped Life March 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

I'm catching up w/ my google reader, and found you! This recipe sounds DIVINE!! It's going on the menu for next week. Thanks!

Ma What's 4 dinner June 10, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

New follower here! This looks wonderful, I can't wait to try it. Love the spice combo!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

christyd April 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

That sounds delicious! I am going to add this to my links so I can try it in the next couple weeks. Thanks!

Cookin' Canuck July 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

That sauce looks fantastic! What a great way to spice up kebab.

Your kebabs look wonderful! It is kebab week at Get Grillin’. Cookin’ Canuck & I would love it if you linked up this recipe & any other kebabs you might have. http://bit.ly/j9keva

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP