Orange Streusel Muffins

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Breakfast is a big deal at our house and when I say "big deal" I mean bigger than ice cream kind of deal. My kids would like it if we have something fancy for breakfast every day and they'd like it even more if I made them breakfast foods every day for dinner. As much as I love the big breakfast feasts along with them, my waistline does not handle all those calories first thing in the morning very well, so I try to limit it to a couple times a week.
Now I'm pretty picky when it comes to muffins, but this recipe caught my eye right away. I love crunchy streusel toppings almost as much as I love anything citrus-y, so I knew these would be a hit (which they were).

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
MUFFINS
2 cups flour (I used half whole wheat, half white)
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup orange marmalade (or mandarin oranges, drained and cut in half)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 Tbs. grated orange rind
1 egg, slightly beaten

STREUSEL TOPPING
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbs. butter

For streusel topping: Combine all ingredients until crumbly. Set aside.

For muffins: Stir dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients, then add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and sprinkle streusel topping evenly over muffins. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Sophie September 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Citrus and spices in a muffins, sounds delicious. The perfect tasty dessert recipe for saying farewell to summer and hello to fall :)!

Kim September 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Yes!! Breakfast is my favorite thing to eat. it isn't always my favorite meal to cook, but I love eating breakfasts foods - such a nice variety of things. I love these muffins, they look wonderful, especially the streusel topping- yum!

Kara September 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Oh yah, breakfast is big at our house too. I love muffins, and these look wonderful. Can't wait to try them!

MaRiN September 11, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

I love a good muffin. These look like a perfect start to a day.

Katy ~ September 12, 2009 at 6:22 AM  

I have to try these! The orange and the struesel caught my eye, and the addition of the marmalade sounds tasty. Lots of orange flavor going on, which I would love. Gotta go buy some marmalade, grins!

Mirien September 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

That looks like a great recipe--I'll try it soon. Good find! I think the next class I teach will be a muffin class, so I'm looking for good recipes these days. Don't feel too guilty about those muffins--they are lower in sugar and fat that most muffin recipes out there. And with the whole wheat? What's not to like? That's what I tell myself, anyway, but I'm still trying to limit myself to only one when I make muffins. That's the hard part.

Julie September 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Those look so yummy! I'm such a McD's addict for breakfast. Something like this might help me break that addiction :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP