Calico Corn Cakes

Monday, October 12, 2009


I feel like a simple chef. Most nights I make fairly easy main courses, super easy sides (like a salad kit or carrot sticks), and have a daughter who makes desserts a couple times a week. It's really quite a rare occasion when I actually plan and cook an entire three plus course meal from scratch on a weeknight.

Some meals though just cry out for something more... Like breadsticks with pasta, or bread bowls with creamy soups, or corn bread with chili. Well last night I was making homemade tostadas (recipe coming soon) and I felt like it just needed a little something extra to go with them. I made a quick glance through my Simple & Delicious magazines and soon found this recipe for Calico Corn Cakes. They looked just perfect. Simple, easy, and savory. They were as simple to make as pancakes (except for the sauteing the vegetables), colorful and fun, and we loved them. They were a lot like a chunky, filled cornbread without the long baking time. Just what we needed for a fast side dish for a southwestern meal!
Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green peppers ( I used red peppers)
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup yellow corn meal
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 Tbs. diced pimientos (optional)
Garnishments: salsa, sour cream

In a small skillet, saute onion and green (or red) pepper until tender; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, oregano, baking powder, cumin, egg, and milk just until combined. Fold in the corn, pimientos (if desired), and onion mixture.
Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray; drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet.
Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired. Yields 6 servings.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Bonny October 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

I love Simple and Delicious! Those turned out great!

Arlene Delloro October 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

Mmmm! Just posted the chili recipe I made tonight. I have a vat of leftovers and was thinking of making cornbread for the encore on Wednesday, but these little babies look pretty tasty. Will have to run them through my recipe builder to see if they fit into my WW plan.

Kim October 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

These look awesome!! I love how you can see the corn, pimento and pepper - very colorful. I bet they were fun to eat :D

Mirien October 13, 2009 at 3:41 AM  

Hmmm...I'm thinking I could even turn those into a main dish--maybe topped with a little chili and cheese, etc.? That would be a fun change from regular corn bread!

Katy ~ October 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

Corn is one of my most favorite veggies, so to see it used like this is really appealing to me. These look really fantastic, a pumped up tortilla in a way. LOVING it!

teresa October 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

these look wonderful! i can only imagine how flavorful they are!

Velva October 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

These calico cakes would be fabulous with a great bowl of hot chili.
Love this recipe!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP