Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Need something warm and comforting for a cold autumn night?  This Pumpkin Bread Pudding is just the thing!  I'm normally not a huge fan of either pumpkin pie or bread pudding, but this was absolutely delicious.  I loved the smooth texture and elegant presentation and the decadent caramel topping made it just out of this world!  This is definitely going on  my favorite list!

This picture does not do this dish justice.  I am in serious need of a photography light box now that my natural light is gone so early!

 Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

Bread Pudding
2 cups half and half
1 (15-oz.) can pure pumpkin
1 cup (packed) plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins
10 cups (1/2-inch) cubes egg bread (about 10-ounces) (I used challah bread from the bakery, but my friend just uses an oat nut variety from the grocery section and swears it works great)

Caramel Sauce
1-1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)

For bread pudding: 
Preheat oven to 350°.  Whisk half and half, pumpkin, dark brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in large bowl to blend.  Fold in bread cubes.  Stir in golden raisins.  Transfer mixture to 11x7-inch glass baking dish.  Let stand 15 minutes before baking.  Bake about 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

For caramel sauce:  While bread pudding is baking, whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts.  Whisk in cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes. 

Sift powdered sugar over bread pudding.  Serve warm with caramel sauce. 

Enjoy!

6 comments:

SnoWhite December 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

that sounds (and looks) very yummy!

Charlene December 1, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

I love anything pumpkin or bread! I'm anxious to try this recipe!

Kelly December 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Bread pudding is one of our favorite desserts and this one looks absolutely scrumptious.

Thanks or sharing the recipe...

Katy ~ December 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

Pumpkin bread pudding with a caramel sauce? The line forms behind ME!

Debbie December 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

Pumpkin bread pudding sounds wonderful!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP