Oatmeal Cake

Sunday, January 10, 2010

 With oatmeal and whole wheat flour, this easy cake packs a more nutritious punch than any cake mix ever could.  I loved its cinnamon-y flavor and moist crumb and look forward to experimenting more with it.  Next time I want to make a boiled coconut frosting and maybe sprinkle some chopped pecans over the top.  This would also be excellent with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! 



 Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
CAKE:
1-1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup instant oatmeal
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)

1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

ICING: 
2 Tbs. melted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2-4 Tbs. milk

Directions:  Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside.  Place oatmeal in a small bowl and our boiling water over it.  Let stand for 20 minutes.  Meanwhile cream butter and sugars together; add eggs, vanilla, and oatmeal.  Mix well and blend in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.


Pour mixture into prepared pan.  Bake for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.  Cake will be dark brown.
FOR ICING: Mix melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt with a mixer.  Beat in enough milk to achieve consistency of glue.  Drizzle icing over warm cake with the tines of a fork.  Serve warm.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

Heidi January 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

I've never eaten this cake, but my grandma talks about it being her very favorite cake so i know it must be good! I love oatmeal, so I know I would love it.

Katy ~ January 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

Tis like a big oatmeal cookie; I LOVE it!!

SnoWhite January 10, 2010 at 9:35 PM  

this sounds (and looks) delicious. I love oatmeal ... so this is one for me!

redkathy January 10, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

Oh my gosh I ma so going to make this, I love oatmeal. This cold weather (and my sweet tooth) has me wishing for something like this!

teresa January 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

this is so lipsmacking good! i want to eat the whole thing!

Kim January 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

I have heard about oatmeal cake before and it has all been good! Sounds like a great breakfast ;D

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP