Oatmeal Pancakes with Lemon-Apple Topping

Sunday, February 21, 2010

This DC winter has been like the winters of my childhood in Minnesota.  Our snowfall totals have made us one of the snowiest cities in America this year and have shattered the 120+ year old record  for snow.  It's been fun for the kids to experience first hand what waist deep snow is like and I frankly found the mid-winter break (longer than Christmas break had been) rather relaxing.  One of the best parts of all those snow days has been the relaxed mornings that mean we can sleep in and take our time to make hearty, wholesome breakfasts every day.    This is one of those snowy day breakfasts I discovered, which we instantly fell in love with.  The wholesome pancakes were good in and of themselves, but the lemon-apple topping really made this a stand-out breakfast.   We'll definitely be making these again soon! 
 
 

Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:

OATMEAL PANCAKES: 
1-1/2 cups hot milk
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
egg, beaten
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 Tbs. molasses
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
egg whites













LEMON-APPLE TOPPING: 
2 Tbs. butter
5 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (I used Granny Smith)
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:  In a large bowl, combine milk and oats; let stand for 5 minutes.  Stir in egg, oil, and molasses.  Combine dry ingredients; stir into oat mixture just until moistened.



Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold gently into batter.

 Set aside.  

For apple topping, heat butter in a skillet until foamy.  Add apples, lemon juice, and peel; cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Combine sugar, cornstarch, and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and cook 2 minutes longer.

While apple topping is cooking, cook oatcakes by pouring batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle.  Cook until bubbles form; turn and cook until browned on other side.  Serve warm with hot apple topping.  
 Serve warm over oatmeal pancakes.  Makes 6-8 servings.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Romney Family February 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Those look so yummy. We love pancakes around here. My kids would eat them everyday if I wasn't too lazy to cook them. How fun to have so much snow. I grew up In Montana and we always had so much snow. Plus My husband and I lived in Utah for 7 years and had tons of snow there!!

Romney Family February 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

PS. the previous post was from Jessie from food brings families together. I was signed in with my family blog.

Kim February 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

Your new site looks really good! We had quite a bit of snow too and my daughter was home for almost two weeks straight. It was fun to sleep in and enjoy being inside and cozy. The pancakes look gorgeous!

teresa February 22, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

i didn't mind the snow either, it was nice to have the family home for a few days! this looks like a perfect way to spend the day!

Katy ~ February 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

Oh my goodness big YUMS up for this keeper!

I'm not real big on snow anymore now that I'm older. Dreaming of warmer days and flowers...

Julie February 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

That's an awesome pile of pancakes there. Great way to spend a snow day :)

Chef Aimee February 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

This makes the snow on a cold winter's morning much more bearable!

Debbie February 23, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

We have had so much snow here in northen Virginia that I feel like I live in Maine!!!! Your pancakes definitely looks delicious!!! Love the topping!

JenJ February 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM  

These were so so delicious. We had a snow day with all the kiddos home and I made these for breakfast. Very very yummy. The topping goes perfectly, and I love the molasses instead of sugar in the pancakes. It has a very mild taste. One thing, I forgot to add the butter. It was melting and I never added it to the topping. Still delicious if you want something more fat free. :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP