Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Raspberry Sauce

Thursday, April 1, 2010

I thought I was going to be able to cook all these new recipes during Spring Break, but I sort of forgot how crazy life suddenly gets with all 5 kids home from school.  Add to that, that the weather is stunningly gorgeous and we all want to spend every waking second outdoors and I'm decidedly not getting much cooking (or blogging) done this week.  I found the recipe for these pancakes in a new church cookbook I just got this past week.  I was intrigued by the ricotta cheese and the lemon and couldn't wait to cook them for my family.   These were light, subtly flavored, and very fine crumbed.  I felt like I was eating a gourmet version of pancakes.    Next time I make them I'll try them with fresh fruit and whipping cream. (Thanks to my friend Kylee for a yummy new recipe.)

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

PANCAKES: 
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup milk
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1-1/2 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

SAUCE:
2-1/2 cups frozen raspberries, thawed
1/2 cup sugar

In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, milk, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt over the ricotta mixture and stir with  a wooden spoon until just combined.  In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Using rubber spatula, fold egg whites into ricotta mixture.


Cook pancakes on a lightly oiled griddle or skillet over medium heat until golden, 1-2 minutes per side.

For the sauce, combine raspberries and sugar in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.


Add up to 1/4 cup water to achieve desired consistency.  Serve pancakes warm with raspberry sauce or fresh fruit and whipped cream.  Makes 12 standard sized pancakes.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

SnoWhite April 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

those look awesome!! I can see how the raspberry sauce could be over powering... raspberries are potent! But -- I do love raspberries and lemon together.

Kim April 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

You know how to make me hungry:D I'm all about those pancakes. They look so delicate and light.

Harmony April 3, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

We are hoping to try these tommorow,I will let you know how we like them. We tried the strawberry filled muffins today and the kids likes the jam in the center. Thank you!

teresa April 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

you had me with that fantastic picture! yuuuuuuuummy!

Chef Aimee April 3, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

These pancakes would make any morning perfect!

Harmony April 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM  

Weel we did try these this A.M. a big hit. I did not make the rasberry sauce but, I added blueberries to the waffles I made. Thank you for another great recipe.

Jami September 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

These taste fantastic with lemon curd and fresh strawberries (or raspberries) on them! I have found a really easy microwave recipe for the lemon curd, and it tastes so delicious (especially considering it's made in the microwave).

Kimberly September 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

These pancakes were wonderful. I loved them plain. Probably my second favorite way to eat them was with a tiny bit of loganberry jam. So delicious. Thanks for sharing.

I love your blog. A friend just recently shared it with us. Great recipes. Thanks!

lo May 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM  

I was going to make these today during my big freezer cooking session but I ran out of eggs! A couple questions I have though- do you think these could be frozen for weekday breakfasts? And would this work as a waffle? Love your site & your recipes!

Lara May 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM  

Hi Lo,
Thank you for the kind words and question. We've never had enough left over to freeze any, but my guess is that they'd be okay to freeze and reheat. I'll put it on my list to try soon and let you know. In the meantime, if you happen to try it, let me know. Thanks!
Lara

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP