Karey's Oatmeal-Raspberry-Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thanks to my sister-in-law Karey for this awesome new pancake recipe.  With raspberries and chocolate chips, who needs syrup?  These pancakes were perfect with some whipping cream and fresh raspberries. 


 Click here for printable recipe.  

The ingredients:

 1-1/4 cup buttermilk (divided)
1 cup rolled oats
1 large egg
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup raspberries (frozen or fresh), slightly mashed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Combine the oats and one cup of buttermilk and let stand 1 hour or overnight.  (NOTE:  In my natural laziness, I tried to skip this step the first time, but the pancakes did not hold together well at all.  As much as I hate to wait, I highly recommend waiting the full hour before cooking.  Or if you don't mind pancakes that fall apart, they still tasted great!)


After the hour, add a large egg to the oat/buttermilk mixture and stir together.  Then add the brown sugar and melted butter and mix well.  Sift in the dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Stir in 1/4 cup buttermilk, raspberries, and chocolate chips.

Cook on hot, buttered griddle until golden brown on both sides.  Enjoy!

9 comments:

Avril September 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

LOVE pancake recipes that are little different than the normal buttermilk or blueberry variety. These look super yum!

Aitch September 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM  

These pancakes look delicious! I am going to make them this weekend (unless you want to send Emma out to make them for me?!).

Karey September 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

I've had pretty good luck with using quick oats and not soaking (or only soaking for 5 minutes or so), but I usually make the batter a little thicker and make muffins. I can't remember if my pancakes hold together or not! :)

Thanks for posting this for me - I'm so lazy with blogging!

Kristen September 15, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

I'm always looking for a new wondrful pancake recipe - thanks for this one

Danny September 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

Does it work if you put the oats/buttermilk mixture in the fridge to soak overnight or will that ruin them?

SnoWhite September 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

I just happen to have all these ingredients -- looks like we might have found our breakfast for the weekend :)

Lara September 15, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

Danny, I'm soaking the oats and buttermilk tonight to see if it works. :)

Lara September 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

It worked great soaking the oats and buttermilk overnight! I'm changing the recipe right now to reflect this!

SnoWhite September 23, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

We tried these this morning -- we soaked the oats overnight and I chopped up the raspberries! YUM!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP