Holiday Baking #23: Cranberry Orange Bread or Muffins

Thursday, December 23, 2010

 This recipe is from my Mom, but since Mom doesn't like to write these recipe descriptions,  darn it,  I had to try the recipe too.  :) I was baking for a PTA breakfast at my son's high school, so I decided to make them into muffins instead of a loaf.  They turned out beautiful and round and looked so festive with the chopped cranberries.  They were the first item to completely disappear at the breakfast and with good reason---the orange and cranberry flavor combination was delicious and the texture was perfection.   Thanks Mom! 

 Click here for printable recipe. 



The ingredients:


2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 Tbs. grated orange peel
3/4 cup orange juice
1 egg
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped (I threw mine in the blender for a few seconds)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)


Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs milk (I actually ended up using orange juice)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of loaf pan. Mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda; stir in butter until mixture is crumbly (you should still see chunks of butter). Stir in orange peel, juice, and egg just until moistened; stir in cranberries and nuts.


Spread in loaf or muffin pan.


Bake until toothpick comes out clean:  
8-inch loaf pan 1-1/4 hours.
9 inch pan 55 to 65 minutes,
Muffins 15 minutes;

Cool 5 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf from pan and remove from pan. In the meantime, mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Frost warm loaf with glaze.
Makes one loaf

or 12 standard-size muffins. 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Steve,  December 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

Wow, those look so yummy and even healthy! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Grace March 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM  

Totally had these on my menu plan for the week -- trying them with your recipe; thanks for sharing it!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP