Holiday Baking #9: Easy Chocolate Pretzel Bites

Thursday, December 9, 2010

  The hardest part about this super quick and simple, but addicting treat, is unwrapping all those Hershey kisses.  Lucky me though, I have a few kids who are willing to do an amazing amount of work with just the promise of a kiss or two....chocolate kisses that is.  I love the salty-sweet combination on these and I was surprised at how addicting they were.  These pretty little chocolate-pretzel bites would be perfect in a bowl at a party or as a fun lunchbox dessert. 

Don't forget to check out a yummy variation on these:    Easy Turtle Bites (made with Rolos)!


Click here for printable recipe

The ingredients:

1/2 lb. mini pretzels (I used the "Snap" variety, the recipe called for "Rings")
48-50 milk chocolate Hershey Kisses or Hugs or Rolos (NOTE:  Hugs, Kisses, and Rolos have different melting temps, so don't try to do the different varieties in the same batch)
1/4 cup milk chocolate M&M's

Directions:  Place the pretzels on a baking sheet,

then place a chocolate kiss in the center of each pretzel.

Bake at 275 degrees for 2-3 minutes or until the chocolate is softened.  (NOTE:  The Hershey Kisses took the full three minutes in my oven, but the striped Hershey Hugs were done much more quickly and the Rolos took closer to 4 minutes.  I'd check them every thirty seconds or so).  Before fully pulling them out of the oven, push in a test M&M to see if it's melted enough to push down easily. 

Remove from the oven.  Place an M&M candy on each, pressing down slightly so chocolate fills the pretzel.   (the "bite" closest to the camera was my test one and you can see how it wasn't quite ready yet)

Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes or until chocolate is firm.  Store the candies in an airtight container at room temperature. 


Enjoy and try not to eat too many!

Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

*********
Come back every day through December for a new holiday goody recipe! 
Don't forget to grab my button and link back to us...





Recipe Shoebox


12 comments:

Julie,  December 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

Have you ever tried them with rolo's? I love the caramel with the chocolate and pretzels.

Lara December 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Rolos are a great variation. They take a minute or so longer to melt, but taste great!

Bonny December 9, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Lara, I am LOVING your holiday baking posts. I get excited each day to see what you've come up with! These treats look so fun, festive, and easy. I can'at wait to try them!

Kim December 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

You are making some killer baked goods lady. I love these little chocolate pretzel bites. A lady I used to work with made these every year and I totally forgot about them until you posted them. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous,  December 9, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

I kinda wish I hadn't just read this. :) Oh these are so good! Great reminder as I make a list of all I want to make for Christmas cookies.

vandana rajesh December 10, 2010 at 1:19 AM  

Nice idea... a wonderful way to please the little ones. Amazing pics.

teresa December 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

i had a friend just bring some of these over. she used mint kisses and i seriously ate about 20 in one sitting! they're so addicting!

Anonymous,  December 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Ok this is going to be my new favorite go to candy snack for the holidays! Awesome! Thanks!

Anonymous,  June 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

I use Rolos and then put a pecan half on top instead of a M&M. Instant turtles!

Anonymous,  December 15, 2015 at 7:38 AM  

How long would these stay fresh in an airtight container if I wanted to make them ahead of time for Christmas?

Lara December 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM  

I've frozen them and kept them for months. In an airtight container, I think they'd easily stay fresh for a few weeks.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP