Pasta with Potato Sauce Alla Decaro

Monday, January 24, 2011

  We discovered this vegan dish during my teens' experiment into vegetarianism this past summer.  The experiment was only a month long and they are now back to eating meat again, but this moist and flavorful dish (zipped up and adapted from Epicurious) has stayed on the menu and become a favorite of mine. 
 Click here for printable recipe.  



The ingredients:
 
2-lbs. potatoes (I used 5 small baking potatoes and 1 medium sweet potato)
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, pressed
6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. dried basil
Pinch crushed red pepper (to taste)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 cups water
1 lb.  penne pasta

Directions:  Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.  In a deep 12-inch heavy skillet, cook onion in oil over low heat for 10 minutes; stirring frequently. 
Add pressed garlic and crushed red pepper and saute an additional 1 minute.  Add basil, potatoes, salt, pepper, and water.  Potatoes should be barely covered with water.  Cover and simmer until  potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. 
While potatoes are cooking, bring 5 quarts of salted water to boil and cook pasta as directed on package.   Drain pasta.   (do NOT drain potatoes) 

Return pasta to kettle and add potato mixture, tossing gently to combine well.
 
 

Makes 6 servings.  Top with freshly grated Parmesan if desired.   Enjoy!

4 comments:

ann January 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM  

Lara, this looks like the ultimate comfort food. I know that I'd love this meal!

teresa January 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM  

i've never thought to do pasta with potatoes, but i bets it's delicious, i love the flavors!

Anonymous,  January 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM  

What a cool new recipe to try. I was surprised to see "potato sauce".... and it sounds wonderful! PS ~ Can I come to your house for meals this week? Your menu looks wonderful.... especially those apple fritters!

SnoWhite October 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM  

Looks great, Lara! Do you have Cub Foods near you?? I see the Wild Organic pkg... which makes me think Cub. :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP