Sweet Potato-Coconut Soup with Spicy Relish

Monday, January 10, 2011

I used to think of sweet potatoes as something to enjoy a couple times a year...usually smothered with marshmallows and brown sugar.  The last few years though, I've discovered that I really enjoy them as a regular part of our menu.  It's gotten to the point that whenever I make a recipe that calls for any potato at all, that I substitute at least 1/3 of the potatoes with sweet potatoes.  I love the extra nutrition  and  the extra flavor that the sweet potatoes add.  

When I found this Bobby Flay recipe in the Parade Magazine of the Sunday Washington Post, I was intrigued.  I couldn't wait to try the sweet potatoes and the coconut together in the soup.  I was pleased with how well the flavors blended together and  I really enjoyed the spicy relish that added  a nice heartiness and texture to the pureed soup.     The spicy relish reminded me in flavor and texture a little of sweet potato fries and as such my family couldn't get enough of it on their soup.  I highly recommend making a double (or even triple) batch of the relish. 


Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

SPICY RELISH:  (I ended up making a double batch of the relish, since everyone liked it so much)
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into a small dice
salt and black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

SWEET POTATO-COCONUT SOUP:
1-1/2 Tbs. canola oil
1 small red onion, chopped
2-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
pinch of red pepper flakes
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dices
1 can (13-oz) unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tbs. honey
large pinch of ground cinnamon

Directions: 

For Relish:  Heat oil and butter over medium heat.  Add red-pepper flakes; heat for 10 seconds.  Add the diced sweet potato, salt, and pepper.  Cook covered, stirring occasionally , until softened, 15 minutes.  Uncover, increase heat to high and cook until diced potatoes are golden brown, 5-7 minutes (mine didn't take anywhere near that long). 

Transfer to bowl and stir in the parsley; set aside.

For soup:  Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and ginger; cook until soft, 5 minutes. 

Add red-pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.  Add chicken stock and water; bring to a boil.  Add sweet potatoes; bring to a simmer.  Cook until potatoes are soft, 20-30 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to a blender and process until smooth.  Return to saucepan; simmer over low heat.  Whisk in coconut milk, honey, and cinnamon.  Cook until thickened and warmed through.  Season with salt and pepper.  Ladle into bowls; top with a spoonful of the spicy relish.  Serve hot with crusty bread.  Makes 4 servings.   

Enjoy!

1 comments:

teresa January 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

what a smooth and gorgeous soup! this is when i really wish i had an immersion blender, it just looks so easy!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP