Wacky Cake (with Paw Print Decorations)

Thursday, February 24, 2011

  We’ve been making this Wacky Cake recipe, which is completely egg and milk free, for years.  It’s easy to make, doesn’t fall apart,  and actually tastes good too, which is more than can be said for most egg free cake recipes I’d tried previously. 

Since I was making these for a group of kids with some food allergies, I had to make some accommodations to decorate them.   Basically, we combined the Wacky Cake with some store bought Pillsbury Cream Cheese frosting, which ironically, considering its name, doesn’t contain any dairy at all.  Then we added some Oreo cookies, which are also totally dairy free.  While the Junior Mints are dairy free as well, they are processed in a plant with other dairy products, so you may need to substitute those for mini-Oreos if you are making these for someone who is deathly allergic to dairy products (it’s fairly uncommon to have that severe an allergy to dairy, but you should check first to make sure). 

In any case, allergies or not, these cupcakes are fun and perfect for kid-project on a rainy day!  They’d also be perfect for a dog or bear themed birthday party or for a classroom activity.

Enjoy!

Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:

“Wacky Cake”:  Dairy Free Chocolate Cake (No eggs, no milk)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. vinegar
5 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 cup cold water


Directions:  In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.

Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan or prepared cupcake tins. Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.  Makes 1 (8x8-inch) cake or 12 cupcakes.  Enjoy! 



Paw Print Decorations: 


Baked cupcakes
Dairy Free white frosting  (see note below)
Oreo cookies  (Oreos are totally dairy free)
Junior Mints candies  (these are processed in a plant with other dairy products, but do not contain dairy themselves.  If someone is severely allergic and cannot even eat product processed in a plant with dairy products, then I recommend mini Oreos instead (found with the snack foods))

**NOTE:  I still haven't found a dairy free icing recipe that I totally love, so I usually just buy store bought frosting when I'm cooking for someone with allergies.  Many varieties of Pillsbury frostings do not contain any dairy, including vanilla, buttercream, and cream cheese (Yes, I find it  ironic and somewhat humorous that they have the word "cream" in the title and do not contain any milk products at all).


Directions:
Frost cupcakes with white frosting.  Top each cupcake with one Oreo and three Junior Mints to resemble a paw print. 


(I’m totally in love with my Cupcake Courier !  My mom got it for me for Christmas and I highly recommend it for anyone who regularly brings cupcakes to activities!) 
Enjoy! 


Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

7 comments:

Holly February 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM  

These cupcakes are sooo adorable!!:)

teresa February 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

these are so dang fun and cute! i have a shoutout for you on my blog!

Julie February 24, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

Those are so cute, and so are the little scout holding them :)

Heidi February 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

We make wacky cake dusted with powdered sugar a lot at school so we don't have to worry about our milk/ egg allergy kids eating something they aren't suppose too. It is delicious! I love the paw print idea :)

Martha A. March 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

We made these for my sons 11th birthday!!! Thanks!

MelissaDaams March 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM  

I LOVE this idea. I gotta bookmark this one for the future. I love easy ways of making something ordinary - really cute and kid friendly. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP