Cashew Chicken in the Crockpot

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Moist, tender chicken thighs in an Asian style sauce, this crockpot dish was yet another winner in our house.  It’s totally worth the couple of extra minutes of prep time to brown the chicken, since it really seems to richen the flavor.  It’s also worth the effort to find chicken thighs instead of breasts, since they seem to make it even more authentically Asian.  I found this recipe over at  365 days of crockpot—a great place for slow cooker recipes in any variety!    

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thigh tenders (not chicken breasts)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbs. rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs. ketchup
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 cup cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped (I used 3/4 cup)
Hot cooked rice
Fresh chopped cilantro
(for garnishing)



Directions: Combine flour and pepper in resealable food storage bag.  Add chicken thigh tenders.  Shake to coat with flour mixture.  Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.  Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side.


Place chicken and all accumulated juices in slow cooker.  Combine soy sauce, vinegar, water, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken.  Cook on LOW for 3-4  hours.  Add cashews just before serving.  Serve hot over rice.  Makes 4-6 servings.  



Enjoy!!!

4 comments:

K March 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

Yum, I love cashew chicken!

teresa March 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM  

so yummy! i love chicken thighs, and i love the way you prepared this.

ann@Apples and Twinkies March 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM  

I love chicken with cashews and your version looks great!

Unknown March 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM  

I made this last night my family loved loved the great flavors.. Thanks...

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP