White Chicken Chili with Sweet Cilantro Sauce

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I usually find my cooking inspiration from other cooking blogs or cooking magazines or books, but this one actually came from a Facebook friend. A dear college friend of mine had posted this recipe as a note on her wall, which then received a gazillion comments from thankful friends who had apparently been the ones to ask for the recipe after tasting it themselves.  Well, all those words of praise were plenty motivation for me to add it to my menu ASAP. 
Now, unlike most of my recipes, which I consider pretty likeable to the whole family, this was one that the little ones didn’t really care for, although I think it had more to do with the plethora of beans than anything else. HOWEVER,  my hubby, me, and the older couple of kids with more discerning palates were in LOVE with it.  It had a wonderful flavor, nice texture, and as promised by my friend who posted it…the sweet cilantro sauce really made it out-of-this-world.  Because of its beautiful presentation with the cilantro sauce drizzled over the top, I am adding this dish to my list of things to take to a potluck or other nice dinner.      Enjoy! 

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

CHICKEN CHILI:

2 Tbs. olive oil

2 onions, chopped

3 cans (15-ounces each) white beans (kidney, navy….)

4 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped

6 cups chicken broth

1 large can (7-ounces) chopped chilies

6-8 cloves garlic, chopped

1 Tbs. dried oregano

4 tsp. cumin powder (can go more if you prefer)

1-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 cup sour cream

3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese


SWEET CILANTRO SAUCE
(makes the soup AWESOME!):

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup oil

juice of one lemon

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. paprika

2 tsp. celery seed

1 tsp. salt

1/2 bunch chopped cilantro (can adjust this up or down according to your preferences)

1 Roma tomato, chopped


Directions:

Heat olive oil in hot skillet and sauté onions on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.  In a large saucepan combine beans, onions, diced raw chicken, and chicken broth;  boil and reduce heat to low for 30-45 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through).

Add garlic, oregano, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cover pan and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Add sour cream and cheese just  before serving.  Serve hot with sweet cilantro sauce drizzled over the top.  Makes 6 servings. 

For Cilantro Sauce:  In a small saucepan, boil vinegar and sugar together. Then add the oil, lemon juice, and spices and boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add chopped cilantro and tomato. Drizzle over hot white chicken chili! 

Enjoy!

6 comments:

ann March 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM  

This looks delicious. I love white chicken chili a lot.

Rachel March 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

I've only tried white chili once (when my husband made it) and he's asked me several times to make it again. This recipe looks perfect! I think he'd prefer it to the recipe he made!

teresa March 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM  

i LOVE this chili, the flavors sound amazing, i can't wait to try this.

Kim March 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM  

I love the sound of the cilantro sauce served on top of the chili. Makes for a great presentation, not to mention that I love cilantro.

I was happy to read your comment about the cookies and cream cheesecakes and hear that you and your family love them. I think I probably became frustrated with the recipe (and the muffin tin situation) and let it get the best of me. When you make them did you have extra filling too? Makes me wonder if I did something wrong? Hmm...

Diana's Cocina March 5, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

What a heart warming bowl of soup ~ Loving the cilantro sauce.

Anonymous,  March 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM  

so the sweet cilantro sauce sounded a little wierd to me, but I decided to give it a try since sometimes the yummiest foods have ingredients you wouldn't expect. but, no, this was just as wierd as it sounds. the celery seed and cilantro don't go together, it's very sweet, very oily, and I'm very sure I won't ever make it again. (the chili itself was fine, nothing to write home about, but at least the flavors went together.)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP