Cooking with Kids: Ladybug Cupcakes

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Recently my little girl turned six and was excited to bring in a fun birthday treat to share with her classmates at school.  Since her birthday fell on one of my craziest days of the week, in addition to making them cute and fun, I also needed them to be simple and easy to make.   That's when I thought of these cute little cupcake fellows I had seen at a friend's house! The process of decorating them, except the antennae, was simple enough to be a kids' job.     The antennae were definitely an adult job, and a little challenging even for me  at first, but once I got the system figured out (using a straight sewing pin) it went pretty fast.  These would be a perfect treat for a springtime birthday party or for a preschool bug theme.  Enjoy!   

While you're here, be sure to check out my other fun cooking with kids ideas. 



Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

Baked cupcakes
Red (or pink) frosting
Brown m&m's (five per cupcake)
Brown shoestring "pull n peel" licorice (I could only find red)
Gumdrops

Directions:
Frost the cupcakes with red or dark pink frosting. 

Place 5 brown m&m's over the cupcake (leaving room for the gumdrop head).


Peel licorice into single strands and cut into approximately 1-inch pieces. 
Using the point of a sharp knife (or a sterilized sewing pin), poke two small holes in the top of the gumdrop for the antennae. 

Again, using the point of the knife or pin poke the antennae into the holes, taking care not to break the licorice.  (it took me a few tries to get it right, but after I got the hang of it, it was much easier).
Place the gumdrop and antennae onto the cupcake. 

Smile and enjoy!!!


************************
Don't miss a single recipe, sign up on the right to be an email subscriber! 

4 comments:

Megan April 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

What a fun spring recipe! My daughter would love to help with these! Thank you!

Kim April 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

So cute! She looks so happy carrying them to school. Hope she had a great birthday.

Anonymous,  April 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM  

How Precious! A yummy treat & great memories. Such an adorable pic of your sweetie!!!

Fisher Boy Food May 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM  

Cooking with kids can definitely be a difficult task for busy parents. This is such a fun and easy recipe, and a great way to have your little ones pitch in a helping hand. I bet her classmates loved it

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP