Popover Upside Down Pizza

Monday, May 9, 2011

Oh me, oh my! 
Now please don't cry.
Although I have no gift for rhythm and timing
I have the urge to go on  rhyming. 

This dish is easy peasy
and oh-so-nice-and-cheesy. 
My kids were gaga with delight
when they saw the top take flight
and pop up into something so puffy
that they could not wait themselves to stuffy. 

After that they excitedly and  without reserve,
said that this dish was something to preserve!
So here it is upon the blog
for you to print and try and hog!
 
Now dear blog readers, don't you fret,
I know I am the worst poet you've (n)ever met,
So in the future, I'll stick to cooking and pans
and leave the rhyming to people who actually can(s).

Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups spaghetti sauce (can substitute with 1 can (15-ounce) tomato sauce plus one envelope spaghetti sauce mix)
1 cup chopped pepperoni
1 pkg. (8-ounces) sliced mozzarella cheese ( I used 2 cups of shredded mozzarella instead)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 Tbs. oil
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:  In a large skillet, brown ground beef or turkey with onion.  Pour off excess fat.  Add spaghetti sauce (or tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce mix) and pepperoni and simmer 10 minutes.  Spoon into greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Top with cheese.  Place in 400 degree oven to keep hot. 

To prepare popover batter, beat together eggs, milk, and oil.  Add flour and salt; beat until smooth.  Pour over hot pizza filling, being careful to cover filling completely.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, until puffed and deep golden brown.  Cut into squares and serve immediately.  Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy! 


Don't miss a single recipe.  Sign up for free email updates (on the right). 

******

12 comments:

Kim May 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

LOL! Love the poem and the pizza. That puffy popover top is so fun.

SnoWhite May 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM  

you are making me so hungry! guess it's time to head home and make dinner.

Mandy May 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM  

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! Both the poem and the recipe! Hooray for Lara - you always come to my rescue. I was just thinking I needed a new pizza recipe to jazz things up again.... I can't wait to try this out now, maybe this coming weekend! :-)

Thanks and I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Mandy

Ashley's Cooking Adventures May 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM  

This is genius! My hubby would go nuts over it!

TABC Certification Online December 23, 2011 at 3:24 AM  

Thanks for sharing this recipe it's definitely a really good reward for my brother who got his Food Handler Certification last week. But still work on the dough first. I'm not really the cook-type but I'd like to do something special for him.

Felicia January 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM  

We loved this meal! A great way to shake up our pizza night. Thanks!

Penelope Wallace,  April 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM  

We are making this for Friday the 13th with a Pineapple Upside Down Cake! It's going to be a great dinner! Thanks so much!

Natty May 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM  

I made this for dinner tonight and my husband loved it! I'm really enjoying your recipes. I hope all is well with your son.

Unknown June 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM  

Could you add vegetables to it without messing it up

Lara June 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM  

I've made it with sautéed peppers before and liked the flavor that it added. I'm not sure about other veggies. If you try it, come back and let me know how it turned out.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP