Sour Cream Noodle Bake

Friday, May 20, 2011

So, this definitely isn't the most glamorous looking meal you've ever seen, but it has a wonderful taste, and best of all, it's about as easy as they come to throw together.  It was a quick 15-minute prep-time and 20 minutes of baking....perfect for a quick week-night meal that the whole family will enjoy!  Usually at least one of my kids has a complaint about what I'm cooking each night, not that they get to say anything insulting or get anything else to eat, but still they let it be known that whatever I've made isn't  their favorite.  Not this though....this won 100% approval down the ranks and I especially enjoyed the fact that my husband made it completely by himself (hence fewer pictures than usual)!  Serve it up with some French Peasant Bread and enjoy! 

Sources:  See Jane in the Kitchen and Pioneer Woman
 
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:
1 lb.  ground beef (I used ground turkey)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 small cans (8-ounces each) tomato sauce
1 can (15-ounces) whole-kernel corn, drained
1/2 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper
1 pkg. (12-ounces) egg noodles
1-1/4 cups cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1 cup shredded cheese ( I used cheddar)


Directions:  Brown ground beef in skillet with garlic cloves. Drain fat and add tomato sauce, corn, salt and pepper and allow to simmer while you prepare the rest. Cook egg noodles al dente. Drain pasta and toss with the cottage cheese, sour cream, fresh ground pepper and green onions.

Add half the noodle mixture to a small baking dish (8x11-inch), top with half the ground beef, top with half the cheese. Finish with the remainder of the noodles, ground beef and top with remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with crusty bread (like French Peasant Bread).  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Ali May 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

I saw this when Pioneer Woman posted about it. It looks delicious, I know casseroles are hard to 'make pretty', haha. I still think they are delicious looking even if it is a mess on a plate most times.

I have a similar recipe on my blog, my Amish ground beef and noodle casserole. If you enjoyed PW's recipe you might want to try it out. It is a bit different than her recipe, but still very good. :)

Kim May 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

Gotta love a recipe where the whole family enjoys it! Of course it's even better if you can get your husband to make it:) I think it looks great.

teresa May 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM  

looks like the perfect dinner to me, YUM! i love quick delicious dinner ideas like this.

i'm glad you enjoyed philly! reading terminal is so much fun. if you come back and need ideas, let me know. and if you need a quick break to let the kids run around at a park or something, we'd love to meet you there!

Meg Luby May 21, 2011 at 1:19 PM  

wow, this looks crazy amounts of delicious. thanks for sharing! i adore this :)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Debbie May 23, 2011 at 6:42 AM  

My husband also cooks and this is exactly the type of dish he loves to make. I will have to save this for him. We would all love this here. It's so nice when everyone at the table is happy with their meal!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP