Best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Ever

Friday, July 22, 2011

One random Saturday evening I was stressed out when dinner time arrived and frankly hadn't put any thought into what I was going to cook.  That's when my sweet husband swooped in and offered to make dinner, so that I could finish up what I was working on.    I had recently received a food magazine from a local grocery store and when I offered it to him as a resource for choosing a dinner recipe, this is the one he chose.  We love fajitas, but honestly I didn't expect anything spectacular.  Man was I wrong though!  My husband followed the recipe exactly and I was shocked when they ended up being the best fajitas I'd ever had.  The chicken was so tender and the unique BBQ  flavor made it so that even my fajita-phobic son gave them the stamp of approval.    In addition to adding these fajitas to our regular rotation, we now follow this method  for perfectly tender grilled chicken every time. 

Adapted from Wegman's Menu magazine.   (check out all the great reviews on it)

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

1 onion, thinly sliced to about 1-inch
1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced to about 1-inch
green pepper, thinly sliced to about 1-inch
2 Tbs. barbecue seasoning, divided (I used McCormick Grill Mates Barbecue seasoning)
4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thirds (lengthwise)
6-8 flour tortillas (8-inch size)
Toppings:  salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco cheese

Directions:  Preheat grill to HIGH for 10 minutes.  Clean grill with wire brush.  Using a soft cloth, coat grill grate lightly with vegetable oil.  Toss peppers and onions with 1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning and 2 tablespoons oil.  Spoon into disposable 9x13-inch foil pan.  cover pan tightly with a large piece of foil, sealing well.  Reduce heat to MEDIUM.  Place pan on grill; close lid. 

Cook 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.  Remove from grill and keep warm with grilling chicken.  Return grill heat to HIGH. 


Drizzle chicken with just 1 tablespoon oil.  Sear chicken on grill 2 minutes until it has change color one-quarter of way up from bottom.  Turn over; sear 1-3 minutes.  Turn over chicken.  Cook 1-3 minutes; turn over again.  Reduce heat to MEDIUM: cook 12-15 minutes until internal temps reaches 165 degrees.  Transfer chicken to a clean platter. 

(NOTE:  grilling the tortillas is optional.  We tried it both ways and some of us preferred the tortillas just warmed in the microwave, so that's what the pictures reflect.) Brush remaining 1 tablespoon oil on one side of tortillas; place oiled-side-down on grill.  Brush tops with oil and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning.  Turn after 30 seconds when slightly browned.  Grill second side 30 seconds; remove from heat. 

Slice chicken very thinly; portion evenly onto tortillas.  Top with peppers and onions. 


Serve with salsa, shredded lettuce, sour cream, extra BBQ seasoning, shredded cheese, and/or queso fresco cheese.  Makes 8 fajitas. 

Enjoy! 



Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox, sign up for free email updates.

3 comments:

SnoWhite July 22, 2011 at 3:33 PM  

These look wonderful! The remind me of our smokehouse maple fajitas -- but I love how the peppers are cooked. We'll have to give that method a try when we make them for dinner again :)

Mamie July 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM  

These look so good! Looks like it could be a very easy and quick dinner.

Rachel July 25, 2011 at 9:00 AM  

My husband and I were literally just talking about how good fajitas sounded the other night! I'll be picking up these ingredients on my next shopping trip--they look SO good!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP