Chocolate Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ever since I was a kid, I've always thought that Magic Shell ice cream topping was kind of, you know....magical... how it could change from a liquid to a solid in the blink of an eye. Now I'm all grown up and can understand the science behind it (kind of)  and know that it's the coconut oil that is the "magical" ingredient which since it is a solid at room temperature,   is what makes the topping freeze quickly over a frozen treat. 

Science or magic, recently I was pleased to discover that I can make my own magic topping....and it's as simple as can be!    Because of the coconut oil, it definitely has a coconut flavor and odor (similar to a Mounds or Almond Joy bar), but if you love coconut, you will absolutely LOVE this homemade magic shell topping!   Read the recipe below for storage hints and using it after it has solidified.  Enjoy! 



Source:  Smilemonsters
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients:


1-1/4 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut oil

Directions:  In a medium size microwaveable bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil.  Heat on high for 1 to 1-1/2-minutes, stirring every thirty seconds until completely melted and smooth.

Allow to cool slightly and pour over icy cold treats....like ice cream, popsicles, or frozen bananas.    It will completely harden in about 20-30 seconds, so if you're going to add sprinkles or chopped nuts or anything, sprinkle them on quickly. 



Store leftovers in a covered container at room temperature.  Mixture will likely  harden to a fudge-like consistency after a time.  To use after it is hardened, scoop a small amount into a microwaveable bowl and heat on high for 10-15 seconds, then stir until smooth.  

You can immediately pour it over your frozen treats and it will harden as usual.  We've had ours  for a couple of weeks now and it still tastes great and hardens up in no time. 

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous,  July 14, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

niceeeeeeee

Deanne July 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

I had no idea you could make your own. This is completely dangerous for me. I love this stuff (and actually just bought some at the store today)! Magic shell is my favorite and think how you could even get creative with flavors with different baking chips - butterscotch, white chocolate, others?
Yum!

Bonny July 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM  

This is awesome! Our family has stopped eating processed food, so I am making everything from scratch. I LOVE that you can make this stuff homemade! I will definitely be trying this. Thanks!

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang July 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM  

I never knew it was so easy to make!

alfred December 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

Football players will carb up before a game and cheerleaders will break their diets to dig in to the beautiful puffy treat. Make a waffle sandwich for on the go in a quick minute or decorate them in your favorite fruits.

Chocolate waffle topping

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP