Picnic Potato Salad

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

'Tis the season for picnics and therefore it's the season for potato salads. I love potato salad and I always taste test them at picnics. Maybe it's because I grew up with this recipe, but I think this version is one of the better ones out there. This is the recipe that my mother has spent 20 some years tweaking. For some reason I never seem to write it down and every summer I call her for the recipe all over again. So now finally it will be in its written form for posterity. Thanks mom.

Click here for printable recipe. 

The Ingredients:


5 lbs potatoes, washed and cut into bite size pieces (peeling optional)
2/3 c mayonnaise
1/3 c sweet pickle relish
4 long stalks of celery finely chopped (sorry, I forgot to measure exactly how much this was)
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 c sour cream
1 medium onion finely chopped
5-6 hard boiled eggs
salt to taste

(Please note that this amount serves a crowd. I made this for 16 people and still had some left overs. So unless you want to eat potato salad for a few days, please cut this recipe in half)

The Directions:

Wash, and cut potatoes into bite sized pieces. Peeling is optional, but make sure you get the dark parts cut off and other questionable spots. I didn't peel these because I don't like peeling things. (which is why I rarely make an apple pie...but I digress.)
Put potatoes in large pot of water with a lot of salt (like 2-3 Tbsp). Bring water to a boil and cook until you can easily stick a fork into the potatoes, but not so that you can mash it.

Meanwhile chop celery and onion. Add them together with the rest of the ingredients to the bottom of a large bowl.

Dice 4 of the hard boiled eggs and add it to the mixture. (or more if you really like eggs) Stir everything together.When the potatoes are done cooking, drain them and run them under cool water.
Stir cooled potatoes into the mixture. Slice eggs and place on top for decoration.
Place in the refrigerator. This is best if made the day before you want to eat it.

Enjoy!


Sign up for free email updates and you won't miss a single recipe here at Recipe Shoebox!

************

1 comments:

R,  July 13, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

I too love potato salad and look forward to making this very soon. (As soon as as I make it to the store to buy potatoes.)

Will review as soon as I try it.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP