Red, White, and Blue Layered Drink

Monday, July 4, 2011

We discovered this fun 4th of July drink a few years ago, so I was surprised to realize that I'd never shared this here on the blog before.   It's not hard to do, but does take a little technique in pouring the layers very gently and directly onto an ice cube.  It could be done with any number of colors for other holiday drinks as well.  The secret is just to look for the layers to have different sugar contents and start with the drink with the most sugar on the bottom and work your way up in order to have the drink with the least sugar on top.  It's definitely high in the fun and wow factor!  Happy Independence Day!


Source:
  Family Fun
Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:


Cranberry Juice Cocktail
Sprite or 7-Up
Blue Gatorade
Ice


Directions:  Fill a clear glass with ice to the top (the ice is important, since it serves as a buffer as you add the layers and prevents them from mixing).  Check the labels of each drink and put them in order of sugar content from highest to lowest.  The drink with the most sugar will be the bottom layer. My Cranberry Juice Cocktail had 30 grams, my Sprite had 26, and the Blue Gatorade had 5 grams.  Starting with the drink that contains the MOST SUGAR, in my case the Cranberry Juice Cocktail, and fill the glass about 1/3 full.   Then take the drink with the middle amount of sugar, for me it was the Sprite, and VERY GENTLY pour the Sprite over the Cranberry Juice Cocktail AIMING FOR AN ICE CUBE WHEN YOU POUR.  After the middle drink is poured about 2/3 full, add the third layer (the Blue Gatorade) in the same manner as before....VERY GENTLY AND POURING DIRECTLY ONTO AN ICE CUBE.  Stand back and admire your own patriotic drink creation!     Serve immediately as layers will start to mix within a few minutes.  Enjoy! 
ONE....                                                   TWO....                                                 THREE!


ENJOY! 

1 comments:

K July 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM  

This is so cool! I love how you mix science and "cooking". My kids will love trying this out!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP