Frog Eye Salad

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Frog eye salad is such a weird name for food. I had never heard of Frog eye salad until I met my future in-laws and it's too bad because it's such a yummy fruit salad. I imagine that it's called 'frog eye' because the little acini de pepe pasta are little tiny balls that resemble eyes. It's easy to make and makes a great fruit salad to take to group outings when you need to serve a lot. That is if you make a full batch , which I do because we will eat it all within a few days.  If you don't need to feed an army, then it's easy peasy to half the recipe.  
Click here for printable recipe. 


The Ingredients:


1 box (16-ounces) acini de pepe pasta (I couldn't find any here so I used the smallest pasta I could find)
1 large box (8-serving size) instant vanilla pudding
3 cans (11-ounces each) mandarin oranges
2 cans (20-ounces each)  crushed pineapple
1 carton (16-oz.) Cool Whip 
1 package (10-ounces) mini marshmallows (get the colored kind if you can find them!)
Other optional fruit like maraschino cherries, grapes, diced pears/peaches, or even coconut

The Directions:
Start water to boil and cook pasta to al dente (cooked, but still firm). You don't want squishy pasta!

Drain juices of canned fruit into large bowl. Sprinkle pudding mix into bowl and whisk or beat until mostly smooth.He is whisking so fast you can't even see the bottom of the whisk!
Drain pasta and cool it off slightly. Add to pudding mixture and mix well.Add fruit and mix in.Fold in Cool Whip gently so it's all incorporated.
Add marshmallows and mix well.
Place in refrigerator with plastic wrap covering it (make sure the plastic wrap is actually touching the top of the fruit salad)

I like to rationalize the it's good for you with the fruit, but honestly it's probably not with all the Cool Whip and marshmallows. But that doesn't stop me from eating leftovers for breakfast because it's so good!  (And so easy even a child can do it!)

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Coleens Recipes September 27, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

I'm picturing this (with a drop or two of green food coloring) at a Halloween buffet...how cute!!

Anonymous,  August 13, 2015 at 7:58 AM  

We have been making this for years. It is a family favorite. One of t he things that make it a "frog" is that it is made with pistachio pudding. I'm sure you can make it with any flavor and it will be wonderful, but true frog eye is made with green pistachio pudding. That's why it looks like a frog with eyes peering out.

Anna March 25, 2016 at 3:08 AM  

It is interesting when seeing these pictures! My son also enjoys cooking.:) This dish is maybe the beginning step for my son. Thanks author!

Anonymous,  September 1, 2017 at 9:11 PM  

I plan to make this with coconut custard puffing and stabilized whipped cream using cream cheese as the stabilizer. Looking forward to making it.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP