Christmas Tree Veggie Pizza

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 22's savory holiday recipe is the perfect combination of funky, fresh, and festive and is sure to be a hit at any holiday party!   Thanks Jen!

Vegetable pizza a treat?! My boys certainly don't think so. But I have to admit that I feel like I've had a bit too much sugar lately and my body is in need of some good vegetables. So this is definitely a treat for me. This is easy to make and so fun to serve at a holiday party. In fact, I recently had people at a party asking me if this was going to make it on the blog. Even though it's not coated in chocolate, people will still gobble it up and ask you for the recipe.

Recipe Inspiration: 
Pillsbury magazine dated in 2005
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Jen.

The Ingredients:
1 tube crescent rolls
1/2 pkg (4 oz) cream cheese, softened*
1 box garlic/herb soft cheese *
1/2 medium red pepper
1/4 yellow pepper (not pictured)
1/2 c fresh broccoli, finely chopped
1/4 c sliced or shredded carrots
1/4 c chopped cucumber

*you may use an 8 oz container of herbed/flavored cream cheese spread in the place of these.

The Directions:
Take out the tube of dough and do not unroll it. Cut it into 16 equal thin slices. (I cut it in half and then in half again to better make equal slices)
Place slices cut side down on baking pan lined with parchment paper. First start with the top, then put two underneath, then three, then four, then five. Place the final slice on the bottom middle to be like the trunk. Make sure they are slightly touching. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until it is a golden brown. Slide onto a wire rack to cool completely. When cool, slide onto your serving platter.While baking, cream together the cream cheese and the herbed cheese. (or just make sure the herbed flavored cream cheese is spreadable). I personally added a tiny bit of dill and a Tbsp of ranch dressing to my spread as well. It depends on what kind of dip flavor you like for your vegetables.
Spread cheese mixture onto cooled crescent rolls.
Cut out a yellow star shape out of the yellow pepper. Finely chop the rest of the pepper. Cut the red pepper into long slices. Finely chop the cucumber, broccoli, and carrots. Arrange the star on top of your "tree" and then string your "garland" red pepper back and forth. Finely chop the rest of the red pepper when you're done with the "garland". Sprinkle chopped vegetables all over but not covering your special designs. If desired you can use chopped almonds to cover the base to be like the trunk.
Serve immediately or loosely cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Once the holidays are over, you can make this anytime by just unrolling the crescent dough and pinching the perforations together. Bake the same as above or until golden. Cool. Then add the creamed cheese and chopped veggies.
Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates!


3 comments:

SnoWhite December 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

I LOVE this pizza. So I can imagine this is a wonderful hit at Christmas.

I hope you'll join us next week for our Countdown to 2012 -- you definitely have fantastic recipes from this past year!

Dining Alone December 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM  

I have made this pizza in a normal shape before, but the tree idea is genius!

Lyndas recipe box December 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

I love this idea! I make a vegetable pizza that is similar, but not in this cute shape. Great idea, and I'm with you on needing more veggies at this point. My body suffering from sugar overload too.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP