Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Two months ago today my life was consumed with busy mom stuff.  What should I make for dinner tonight?  How many  places do I have to go tonight?   Then on the evening of January 10th we got the phone call that turned our world upside down and in a single instant our priorities shifted in a big way.     After 51 nights in the hospital with my son (and many more to go), I certainly haven't done much in the way of cooking or experimenting with recipes lately, but then I remembered that I do have a bunch of recipes I'd made and hadn't blogged about yet.  I'm taking advantage of a quiet moment tonight and posting about one of those stand-out recipes from BL (Before Leukemia).    

It's been a while since I made this slow cooker meal, but I remember it being super easy--a dump it and forget it type of meal!   I also remember us all enjoying it and thinking that I would definitely make it again.   
Thank you to friends and family who've been taking care of the blog in my absence!    Hopefully you'll see me pop in from time-to-time with some more of these forgotten recipes. :)
Enjoy! 

Adapted from:  All Recipes
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Lara. 

The ingredients: 

(oops!  The black beans didn't make it into the picture) 

1 pound raw chicken breasts, cubed
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14.5 ounce each) cans chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 can (15-ounce) black beans, drained
1 Tbs. chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

Directions: 
For soup:  Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth,  cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn, black beans, and cilantro.

Cover, and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.  Serve hot with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, and tortilla strips. 



For tortilla strips:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly brush both sides of corn tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.



Enjoy!

***********************

Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

6 comments:

Debbie March 8, 2012 at 6:29 AM  

This looks delicious and I just love slow cooker recipes. Thinking of you and your family and sending good thoughts and prayers your way....

Romney Family March 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM  

that looks delicious Lara. Thanks for sharing. You and your family are in Our prayers each night I know that our Heavenly Father is watching out for you all!!!

Loy March 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM  

Looks delicious. So glad that things are going well enough that you feel like posting a little. Your friends and family have been doing a great job with the blog. Praying daily for your, your son, and all your family.

Arlene Delloro March 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM  

So very sorry to learn about your son's illness. Prayers winging your way.

Karen,  March 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM  

How is Spencer doing? We pray for him every day.

Abbie,  December 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM  

Made this tonight for my husband (I don't eat meat) and he LOVED it. Another easy meal to add to our rotation!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP