Southwestern Pasta Salad

Thursday, July 5, 2012

First a little update on my son:
  It's been a long journey, but my son is now in remission from leukemia and we are verrrrrrry slowly getting back into a routine again. 
Spencer is recovering well and is looking forward to a little normalcy this summer and for his upcoming senior year of high school.  Thank you for all of the prayers and kind wishes in his (and our) behalf.   We have truly felt God's comfort and presence through this entire journey. 



And now onto the recipe: 
While sitting in the hospital with my son over the last nearly 6 months, I would find myself daydreaming about new recipes I wanted to try when life was back to normal.   Unfortunately after only rarely cooking for months on end, I feel out of practice and it's actually been a challenge for me to get back into menu planning/ daily meal making.  Thank goodness for tasty and easy meals like this one to make the adjustment a little easier!    Pasta salad with a Mexican zing may sound a little strange, but it came together well and I loved how the fresh flavors combined.   It also makes for a great make-ahead meal, since the flavor seems to get better and better as it sits in the fridge. 


Adapted slightly from The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
                        Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:


1 pound box bow tie pasta (farfalle)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups diced cooked chicken (a rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken is perfect)
8 green onions, chopped
6 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 can (15-oz.) hominy, drained (found with other canned beans)
1 can (15-oz.) black beans, drained
1 bottle (12-oz.) mild green taco sauce (salsa verde)
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions: 

In a large pot, cook pasta in boiling water, stirring occasionally.
Drain and rinse pasta and transfer to a large bowl.  Add oil and toss to coat.  Add remaining ingredients, except cheese, gently stir together. 

Add shredded cheese just before serving.


Makes 8 servings.  Serve room temperature or cold.   (it's even better the second day)

Enjoy!


*****************************

Want to see links to your favorite recipes from Recipe Shoebox in your Facebook feed?  Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook page!   


7 comments:

Nancy July 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM  

Thanks for the update on Spencer! I am so thrilled that his cancer is in remission! Everyday when I come to see if you have posted any new recipes, I saw a prayer for him and your family. I hope he has a fun senior year.

JenHaggerty July 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM  

I have been thinking about your guys! So happy to read that he is in remission! Praise The LORD!!!

Martha A. July 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM  

So glad to hear the update!! This salad looks so good!

Kim July 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM  

Oh Lara! That is the most wonderful news about Spencer!!! I am overjoyed for your family. I hope you all enjoy your summer and have lots of time to kick back and relax. You deserve it :)

Love the looks of that pasta salad!

Anonymous,  July 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM  

Yeah!! I check in often just to see if there are updates about Spencer. I am thrilled to read that the cancer is in remission!

Karey July 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM  

Yum! This looks great! I really wish I had all the ingredients in the house today - the baby needs this! :)

Anonymous,  July 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM  

I am so happy to hear your son is in remission and doing well. I have been checking on a constant basis for updates ever since reading about his diagnosis. I hope he continues to get better. God Bless you and your family!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP