Blueberry and Yogurt Popsicles

Monday, August 13, 2012


My kids seem to think that a summer day without a frozen treat of one kind or another to cool them off, is a sad day indeed.  This summer, though, I made a goal to try to cut down on artificial colors and preservatives in my family's diet and as part of that I decided that we would make all of our own popsicles this summer instead of buying them.  My kids weren't too happy with my edict at first, but they changed their tune when we started experimenting with popsicle recipes and they got to taste the fruits of their labor first hand!  These blueberry and yogurt popsicles were one of the first ones we tried that got Mom approval with their wholesome ingredients and also got full kid approval for taste as well!

*************

With all the experimenting we did this summer, I thought it would be fun to dedicate an entire week here at  Recipe Shoebox to sharing a new Frozen Treat recipe each day.   In past years we've made  Root Beer Floats on a Stick
, Ice Cream in a Bag, Homemade Magic Shell, and Ice Cream Cake Trifle.    Come back each day this week to find more fun recipes for ice cream treats, popsicles,  and frozen drinks! 

Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:


1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt (about 8-ounces)

Directions: 
In medium saucepan, simmer blueberries, water, orange juice and sugar for 10 minutes (the mixture does not need to thicken).  Let mixture cool for 20 minutes, then blend in food processor until smooth.  Stir in yogurt then pour mixture into popsicle molds (or 3-ounce Dixie cups) and freeze until solid.  Makes 6-8 popsicles.   For easier removal from the popsicle molds, you may want to run hot water over the outside of the mold for several seconds. 

Enjoy!

*I highly recommend these Popsicle Molds which I got from Amazon.

*****************************

Want to see links to your favorite recipes from Recipe Shoebox in your Facebook feed?  Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook page!   


3 comments:

K August 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM  

Yummy! BTW, I have the same popsicle molds as you. Great minds thing alike, eh?

teresa August 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM  

love frozen treats, and we need them right now!

SnoWhite August 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM  

These look similar to ones we made recently with raspberries. I love the idea though of using OJ as the sweetener.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP