Cake mix extender recipe

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

'Tis the season to make cupcakes and cakes.  I'm sure that a lot of you have classroom parties at school for the next couple months with all the holidays coming up.  But what happens when there is 32 kids in your child's class?  A cake mix only claims to make 24 cupcakes.  So do you bake two boxes of cake mix?  No!  Use the cake mix extender recipe!  This is a recipe that takes the basic cake mix a little bit further. I was able to make 36 cupcakes.  That's 50% more than the regular cake mix.  Or you can make 2 9x13 cakes (just not as high)  Plus I think the cake is just a little bit denser as well.  This recipe is all over the internet, but I've had friend ask for the recipe, so I thought I'd post it here.  (Or maybe it's more for me just in case I ever lose my original piece of paper)
Click here for printable recipe.


Ingredients:

 1 cake mix of choice PLUS all the ingredients listed on the box (eggs, oil, water)
Add:
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 pkg instant pudding mix , small size (make sure you pick the flavor of pudding the matches the flavor of your cake)
1 egg
1/2 c water
1 tsp vanilla

The Directions:
Mix all the dry ingredients into a bowl.  (the cake mix, and all the extra dry ingredients)
 Now add all the wet ingredients.  Both what is listed on the box PLUS what to add.
 Mix well for a couple minutes with an electric beater.  Scrape down the sides periodically.
 Pour into desired baking pans.  Here I made cupcakes for a Halloween party.
 Follow the directions on the box for how long to bake and the temperature.  (usually 325-250 degrees for about 18 minutes).  See, this made 36 cupcakes with one cake mix box!

I was helping with a cupcake decorating activity at a Halloween party.  Here are some of the cupcakes that the kids made.  I guess with a large supply of sprinkles and candy, they don't know when to stop.
Here are a couple other ones:


1 comments:

Minnie(@thelady8home) November 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM  

This is lovely. Totally Awesome!!!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP